Mauricio Uriona Maldonado
Welcome to my webpage! I am an Associate Professor at UFSC at the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, in Florianopolis, Brazil. My research interests are Clean Tech, broadly speaking (Renewable Energies, Electric Vehicles, and the Transition away from fossil fuels) and my main methodology is System Dynamics.
I have been a visiting scholar at Universität Bremen (Germany), University of Tampere (Finland), Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Spain). Besides my formal training, I have been trained in system dynamics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA) and in innovation policy at the University of Tampere (Finland). My previous project experience span the Energy, Software and Telecom sectors.
I earned my PhD in Knowledge Management and Engineering at UFSC with co-supervision at Duke University (USA). Before joining UFSC, I was a consultant in innovation management at the Federação da Indústrias de Santa Catarina (FIESC). Find my full cv here (in Brazilian format) and the international format, here.
My current research interests have led me investigate how countries transition from high- to low-carbon and resource efficient economies. I study these transitions in the fields of renewable energy and electric mobility by:
- assessing governance processes,
- evaluating policy instruments and business models, and
- exploring policy scenarios for sustainable futures by means of computer modeling.
See our research themes:
My recent (selected) publications:
- Product-service systems in solar PV deployment programs: What can we learn from the California Solar Initiative? 2019. RESOURCES CONSERVATION AND RECYCLING, with J. Schmidt and O. Possamai;
- The impact of CO2 mitigation policies on light vehicle fleet in Brazil. 2019. ENERGY POLICY, with L. Benvenutti and L. Campos;
- Innovation system policy analysis through system dynamics modelling: a systematic review. 2018. Science and Public Policy, with S. Grobbelaar;
- Diffusion of photovoltaic technology in Germany: A sustainable success or an illusion driven by guaranteed feed-in tariffs?. 2018. ENERGY, with L. Baur;
- A functions approach to improve sectoral technology roadmaps. 2017. TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING AND SOCIAL CHANGE, with C. Haddad;
- Long term diffusion dynamics of alternative fuel vehicles in Brazil. 2017. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION, with L. Benvenutti and A. Ribeiro.